Katelynn Victoria

Katelynn Victoria
During Chemo

Monday, April 5, 2010

Strenght

As Kate was going through chemo I feel that God gave me the strength to go through such a horrifying experience. The day Kate was diagnosed I couldn’t capture what the doctors where trying to tell me I would ask over and over, “ so u mean to tell me that my daughter has cancer and she needs chemo and surgery”. It was so difficult to accept. My heart became overwhelmed with worry and fear. As the chemo process began this feeling of security and strength fell over me. I did have my moments when those fears would come back but for the most part I was pretty strong. I feel that I had this sheet over me to protect me from seeing the truth about her illness in order to function, protect my family and cure her. I was so focused on getting her over this time and making sure that Evan my son was still the happy little boy he’s always been. Regrettably I didn’t do the extended amount of research I should’ve done but I do accept the fact that it is normal to act like that after a loved one has been diagnosed with an illness. I am so thankful that some of my family members and friends helped out as much as they can.

As soon as her chemo was over and she was free of cancer, that sheet was lifted off my head. Every day I think and replay in my mind the day Kate was diagnosed and when I look at her those worries and fears are stronger and more real than they have ever been. This is a process that I know I am going to go through the rest of my life. As horrible as it may seem to live that way, she’s alive and she’s cancer free. I don’t know what might happen in the future all I know is that I like all parents with ill children live day by day. I love my children and only want the best for them. My perspective in life changed and I’m grateful for that because it only made me appreciate life even more.

Neuroblastoma is the fourth most common malignancy of childhood, preceded by leukemias, CNS tumors, and lymphomas. Neuroblastoma is the most common intra-abdominal malignancy of infancy and the most common extracranial solid tumor of childhood as per WebMd. (emedicine.medscape.com/article/439263-overview). Although every 1 in 100,000 infant is diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, it should be more than enough reason to help want to find a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment